Saturday, October 2, 2010

Lessons learned this week

I never really understood what the doctors meant when they asked if a baby had vomited. I always thought that is a stupid question; babies spit up all the time. This week I learned there is a huge difference between spit up and throw up. Baby throw up is violent and projectile and much like adult vomit (minus the chunks). It was quite scary the first time Olivia did it, the second and subsequent times were just pitiful. We are still in the hospital as I type waiting for Olivia to hold liquid down. Until she can do that we are stuck.

While here in the hospital Olivia has been a bit clingy. I don't really blame her. She has had 3 blood panels, a cathader, an IV, electrodes on her back and a monitor on her foot all since Thursday. Anyway the lesson learned from her clinginess.... I'm not too big for a baby crib! Yes that's right, I have napped, slept over night and played in Olivia's hospital crib with her the entire stay. It is actually kind of comfortable :)

Another lesson learned: Olivia does not like the taste of Roxy's dog food. While at home this week (after she had already begun vomiting) Olivia was crawling around on the floor and I saw her out of the corner of my eye put something in her mouth. In my sprint across the kitchen I see her making an awful face. I get to her and she refuses to open her mouth so I pry her lips and gums apart to find a crumb of dog food. Not sure that was on our list of food to try in her first year, but oh well it didn't kill her and it didn't make her any more sick than she already was.

Other than these past few days Olivia has been doing great. She remains a happy baby full of smiles and laughs. She also keeps me and Nick laughing all the time.

1 comment:

  1. I am sooo glad that sweet Ms. Olivia is feeling better. They are so pitiful when they are sick. I know it was hard for you guys when she was in the hospital. The best thing about it is that SHE will not remember. And as for the dog food, Ryleigh use to do the same thing with Roxie's food. It got to a point where we had to "hide" the dog's food and only put it out when we were not home or after Ryleigh went to bed. She understands now that it is "yuck-yuck" and it belongs to Roxie! But like you said, it didn't kill her or make her sick! Heheheh! :)

    ReplyDelete